Good Cycles tram enters the network to encourage a summer of active transport
* Official press release *
Good Cycles is thrilled to participate in the 2022 Yarra Trams Community Partnership Program that provides in-kind tram wraps to six Melbourne-based charities and not-for-profits per year.
As a not-for-profit social enterprise that empowers young people facing barriers to work by offering them employment pathways, Good Cycles’ tram wrap will bring awareness to the benefits of active transport.
The Good Cycles trams’ message of ‘ride with us to a better future’ was selected as a statement that celebrates sustainable transport options, such as riding a bicycle or tram, whilst also speaking to the organisation’s objective to positively impact the lives of young people and the community.
Good Cycles provides young people with training and coaching, on-the-job experience, and professional support. It is Good Cycles’ mission to improve livelihoods, whilst contributing to more sustainable cities.
Since its foundation in 2013, Good Cycles has:
- Helped more than 750 young people gain the skills and confidence they need to build a successful career and life in Melbourne through on-the-job training and work experience;
- Increased paid work experience by 200% since 2017;
- Increased performance development by 12% since 2019;
- Enabled 70% of program participants to be job-ready;
- Successfully supported sustained employment in over 80% of work transitions.
- Through commercial bike shops and other activities such as partnering with commercial bike hire organisations, Good Cycles has a stable financial footing, with 100% of profits reinvested to create jobs and support young people who are moving through the training program.
In addition to bicycle retail and repair centres, Good Cycles provides numerous bike-based services around Melbourne, including car share services, bike share operations, and remedial streetscape repairs.
Since 2018, Yarra Trams has provided in-kind advertising to community organisations under their Community Partnerships Program to promote good work done in the community. The theme for the 2022 program ‘Building a Resilient and Sustainable Melbourne’, with participants supporting Victoria’s natural environment, and working to improve employment security for disadvantaged and at-risk communities.